To help understand cinema and its potential to empower the young filmmaker and audience.
Learning about film is like life, it’s an ongoing journey. An encouraging response from my students has motivated me to start this blog to help keep alive, protect and nurture their passion for film. To reach out and spread awareness about the power of the medium and highlight important individuals active in the field past and present. I have set out on this journey with my humble efforts and ask for your participation.
For me the role of a filmmaker gives and takes to my role as an educationalist. My latest short film “The K File” movie is a script by Farrukh Dhondy and is based on the dilemmma of kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks – Exclusive Online Release 28th May 2012.
Director, SBI Impresario Pvt. Ltd.
A Production/Media company since 1975 (www.sbiimpresario.com)
- Bachelor of Arts,Jai Hind College,Mumbai
- FTII & NFAI Film Appreciation Course designed for Teachers Training
- Research, Production, Direction – SBI Impresario Pvt. Ltd. Film Projects
* Conduct under the auspicies of SBI Impresario independent 3 weekend batches on a regular basis for ‘Film Appreciation’
* Teaching ‘Chekhov Acting Training’ and introduced the acting technique to India with the acting technique dvd
* Currently heading the subject of Film at the SVKM International School, Mumbai.
* Taught the ‘Film Appreciation’ module at the first batch of the Institute of Creative Excellence – ICE, the Education division of Balaji Telefilms
* Teaching the ‘Film Appreciation’ module at the Digital Film School, Mumbai
* Teaching ‘Film Appreciation’ and ‘Acting Appreciation’ at Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute
* Conducted the ‘Film Appreciation’ module and ‘Dance and Music in Cinema’ module for the first batch of the Mumbai University Post Graduate One Year Diploma Course for Film and Television
* Conducted the filmmaking workshop at BITS, Pilani (Birla Institutie of Science and Technology) Goa Campus for their Waves winter 2009 cultural festival.
* Conducted the ‘Understanding Cinema’ module of the BMM syllabus at Ghanshyamdas Saraf Girls College, Mumbai (Affiliated to the University of Mumbai)
The Art of Educating
I believe that the approach of someone who is imparting knowledge is equally important with that of the kind of knowledge being imparted.
I see my role as an educationalist/educator ‘to inspire the student to discover the truth’. I believe in giving the student freedom to create their own views and not bias them with my personal opinions.
I believe knowledge should be interactive and a two way process. Otherwise its just someone’s tinted glasses you are putting on, you need to see the world with your own eyes. However if your eyes are not in a good condition, they are infected or are in poor health you need to correct that first, for a vision that is real and insightful.
I have come to understand that knowledge learnt through experience lives on for a lifetime and students enjoy that process of learning where they are active and in the midst of action rather than being a passive spectator.
Working at making my subject further simple, precise and meaningful is a continuing journey and an art which is slowly unfolding.
Being an educator and interacting with a class is like a live performance and you wait for the ecstasy to be felt when you are one with your audience in the bond of knowledge. Aiming for those moments of inspiration to take flight and experience the art of education.
Chairman / Managing Director, SBI Impresario Pvt. Ltd.
Indu Raman Interviewing Sorab Irani:
44 Comments so far
Leave a comment